While in Idaho yesterday, we noticed a sign on the drive-thru window of a fast-food restaurant reading that they were not serving any fresh tomatoes.
I spoke with one of our food vendor reps shortly afterwards, and he assured me that the tomatoes we are serving are not part of the recall.
Now the recall has been expanded…
Over 145 people have been infected with Salmonella from eating tainted tomatoes, all of which have the same genetic fingerprint. To me, that is a big warning that no one should be serving, or eating, these types of tomatoes. Salmonella (and it’s evil sister, E-coli) can do enormous harm to people. A friend of mine became so sick from lettuce served at a restaurant (that was soon afterwards recalled) in Bend, she will carry a colostomy bag for the rest of her life. It’s a big, big deal.
As a rule, we always wash, sanitize, and then rinse all of our produce. I take great pains to make sure that ours is a very clean kitchen, and that we always always ALWAYS wash everything throughly.
With this warning from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, we have thrown out all of our tomatoes. It’s a bummer, yes, but I think this is serious enough to warrant doing so.
And STOP eating tomatoes (unless you’re fortunate enough to have your own growing in your back yard)!