When I was 19, I tested for a job as a dispatcher. The recorded phone caller on the other end screamed at me about a baby and her address and the phone went dead. I was asked what I remembered, and it wasn’t much.

This same phone call happened on Friday morning, only, it wasn’t pre-recorded and it was one of my front gals at the restaurant. I heard screaming, and could only comprehend that Whitey was on the floor, not breathing, bleeding…

and I froze.

I loudly told Freebird to CALM DOWN! over and over again, and asked if she knew CPR. No, she said. Is he breathing now? Yes, she said, and he’s still out cold on the floor. I told her to call 911 (which Courtney had already done) and that I’d be there as fast as I could.

I immediately called Kristen to pick me up. My truck was covered in snow and ice, and it would take longer to get it mobile than for her to come and get me. I was shaking uncontrollably.

I was waiting outside when she pulled up — with a fully flat back tire. She had no idea. We quickly scraped the windows of my truck and I somehow stayed calm enough to drive to the restaurant. An ambulance was already out front.

It was awful.

Whitey was in a daze, and didn’t know what was going on. He refused to listen to the paramedics, getting physical at times. I tried to talk him down, but he insisted on making a phone call with his cell phone. I watched as he pulled my name up and called me. He had no idea that I was standing in front of him.

I had Kristen get my phone out of the truck and answered the phone. Whitey asked me to come in to work, and I said “I’ll be right there.”

Yet even as I pretended to arrive again, he continued this cycle of calling me and asking me to come to work. The much larger paramedics and the police officer told me that they were going to have to physically restrain him on the gurney, as almost 15 minutes had passed. Whitey continued to fight them off, yelling and being combative.

Somehow, I was able to talk to Whitey on the phone while I was out of sight and was able calm him down. I told him that we needed to go take a few photos at the hospital, but we’d go right home afterward and watch a movie together with the dogs. He went from Mortal Combat to meek in just minutes, so I kept repeating this mantra over and over again.

We were able to get him in an ambulance and off to the hospital. I stayed on my cell phone, sitting behind him, repeating the same thing about going home and Max and Barkley and Movies and Snowboarding and Dinner. It was heart-wrenching to watch him so disoriented and in pain. He had no idea who I was when I was in sight, but kept his cell phone glued to his ear for my voice.

After two CT scans and an incredibly painful spinal tap, the doctors were unable to figure out the cause of his seizure and ordered a life flight to a larger hospital in Boise. Life Flight. And we leave in 20 minutes.

Absolutely terrified at this point, and knowing that the CT scan showed a major skull fracture, I had to talk myself down into a calmer state. Nothing, nothing can happen to this man. I need to stay calm.

Kristen ran to my house and packed a bag as fast as she could for us, and barely made it back before they were loading him onto a helicopter.

As we flew over Paizano’s, it was an eerie feeling. I saw our home, and wondered about the dogs. My phone was nearly dead, and I sent a quick text to Kristen to be sure to take care of them.

Our flight was cut in half, as the fog was too dense to land in Boise. We transferred to an ambulance in Caldwell and drove another 30 minutes to St. Alphonsus.

The medical story from here is to be expected. Lots of needles, an IV was hooked up, many drugs and “how many fingers am I holding up?” questions. Hours of poking and prodding and numerous different faces all asking the same questions.

Whitey was admitted, and we finally were transferred to a private room late at night. I realized that I hadn’t eaten or drank anything all day, and found a 24-hour Subway in the lobby. Awesome.

After eating, I curled up next to him on his bed for a short time listening to the pain in his breathing, and finally pulled the sofa next to him to sleep on. It was like sleeping on a firm life vest; those old orange ones found in ferry boats.

So here I sit. We’re still waiting on a neurologist to show up and do some sort of brain scan with electrodes to look for something or other. Hurry up and wait. I continue to watch the clock to ask for another pain pill for Whitey every four hours, even though the pill only lasts about two hours.

The crew at the restaurant have assured me that they have it under control; rearranging the schedule, figuring out who is going to make dough, etc.

I’ll blog on his progress again, and in the meantime…

give out a few extra hugs today to your family.


This entry was posted in All About Us, baker city, Boise, Giving Thanks, Our Pizzeria, scary. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Whitey

  1. spabettie says:

    oh, Kina… I am sending you strength and calm, and saying many prayers that everything is okay. ❤

  2. Tom says:

    We are thinking of you an sending good Karma your way. If you can think of anything I could do to help. Please let me know.

  3. adrienne says:

    TONS of hugs to you, too!!

  4. shannon says:

    Tons of hugs and Brian and Ben has been getting all kinds of extra hugs. Thinking of you!

  5. Gerry says:

    Prayers and good thoughts are going your way from Bend. Such a scary thing but he’s in good hands now.

  6. Dina says:

    Hospital stays are never easy. We’ve had 4 of our own for our oldest son. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. If something doesn’t seem right, speak up. Ask for help from friends and family, it’s OK. And although you never want to leave his side — I get that — make sure you take care of yourself. You’ve got to eat & drink (even if it has to be Subway.) It’s too easy to get sick yourself being run down and surrounded by germs in a hospital. Blech.
    Best wishes – Dina

  7. Mom /Nancy says:

    Time to get all your employees in a CPR course . I will be signing our crew up for life saving courses as soon as they are available. Heard that Steve has been discharged. Have a safe drive home. We love you guys and will talk to you tonight.

  8. Sending hugs… I’m driving to Boise on Monday.. If you need anything tell the crew and I will deliver it to you.. anything…
    A multitude of prayers being sent.

  9. Brian says:

    Lots of love and energy coming your way from the Vegetables. Like I said on the phone message, if there’s anything we can do, walk to dogs, bring you food, anything, let me know.


  10. joanfarias@sbcglobal.net says:

    Kina: our thoughts and prayers are with you and Whitey…………although we don’t really see each other very much, we still think about our Baker City relatives. Your grandma is doing much better this week…very alert, eating and sleeping better. Please give Steve and you hugs from us. Love, Aunt Joan and Tony

  11. Jen says:

    I’ve been out of town and just saw this. Love and hugs to you and Whitey! I see there’s an update, hope all is well. Hang in there hon!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s